Records are required for data entry in Castor. If you have not yet created any records, you must first create a record - this article explains how to create new records in Castor.
You can also find this manual item in the online workshop. Click here to view the workshop video.
Entering the study:
When the study admin has invited you for the study and you have created an account you are able to log in to Castor. You will see the following screen:
If the study is live, you can access it and start gathering data by clicking on the study in the overview(1).
Opening a record:
Every record in Castor resembles a patient, with its own record ID. A record can be opened by clicking the record line.
Creating a record:
If a record does not yet exist for the patient we will enter data for, we have to create a new record. You can do this by clicking the '+ New' button.
When you open a record, the data entry view is displayed:
This is main data entry view. It consists of the following elements:
- Record number and record completeness, randomization information will also be displayed here when available. You can decide whether to show or hide reports in the record overview.
- Phases and steps. Here you can navigate through the eCRF and see the individual progress per phase and step. Steps and phases can have three different stages of completion:
- Not Started (white).
- In Progress (orange).
- Completed (green).
When every required field for a step has been completed, the step icon will show as a green dot.
When every step inside a phase has been completed, the phase will be marked as completed.
- The fields added to the step - this example shows a radio button.
- Field options, here you can perform various actions that apply to only the field on this row, e.g. 'Undo' or 'Set field as missing', add comments or create queries.
- This button returns you to the record overview list.
- You can use the Next/Previous buttons to navigate through the steps of the record.
Field status icons
- The status icons indicate the status for a field, they have the following meanings: Green: The value is valid and the field is saved. Orange: The field is required and no value has been entered yet. Red: The value is invalid and the field has not been saved. No icon: The field is not required and no values have been saved.
- If an information text has been entered for a field, it can be displayed by clicking on the (i) icon.
- When the value for a field matches the value set for a validation message, e.g. a warning, an exclusion or an error, this will be displayed in a coloured banner below the field.
- To clear the value from a field, click the cogwheel and the following menu will be displayed:
To clear the value for a field choose 'Clear'. If you have enabled automatic clearing of dependent child fields in the 'Settings' tab, all inapplicable child fields are cleared. For example: when changing the gender from female to male, all pregnancy fields are cleared. The system will always ask for confirmation before existing data is cleared.
Doing data entry: The basics:
Watch the video walk-through on Castor Academy: